Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Traveling Around

Once upon a time, or two weekends ago, I went on a trip with my host family. We went to a warm place, 15°C warm. The restaurants were open late, the population was loud at 2:00am, and the main spoken language was Spanish. Can you guess where I was?
BARCELONA!!!
Yeah, peeps, I was in Barcelona! With my host family! For four days! It was EPIC!! Words cannot describe how amazing this adventure was, but I think the sheer amount of pictures that I took, could.
So the sights: La Ramblas; Sagrada Familia, a massive basilica designed by Gaudi; a massive park, designed by Gaudi; the Olympic Stadium; the Columbus Monument; and penalty more!
Day 1: Our plane landed in the afternoon and we dropped off all our bags at the hotel and away into the city we went. Well, then again, our hotel is in the city, so we didn’t have to go far. We started in La Ramblas. The walking street. Outdoor vendors, live statues, birds and flowers for sale, painters, for 20 euros, you could have your picture drawn. I was in awe! We then went to see the Columbus Monument, and wandered into the Gothic Quarter. The Gothic Quarter is the oldest part of Barcelona, at least 2000 years. After we found a restaurant, and went back to the hotel.
Day 2: Gaudi day! Gaudi is a very famous architect here who designed several buildings which are now UNESCO World Heritage Sites. So we went to see Sagrada Familia, and the Gaudi apartment. Words cannot really describe either, so I will let the pictures do so. I went back to the hotel late afternoon, rested for a bit, and went off again in the evening for dinner and another wander of the Gothic Quarter with my host family!
Day 3: I did the most touristy thing in my life with my host family that day. We bought tickets for the tour bus. We spent a day on the bus, getting off when we wanted and when we were ready to go on again, we hopped back on the bus again. That was the best way to see the city, I think. We got off at the Gaudi Park, spent the morning and some of the afternoon there. After we went to the Olympic Stadium, and took a good look around. By then, it was evening so we started looking for a restaurant.
Day 4: We packed our bags and spent what little time we had left shopping. Well, Thomas, Karin, and Maja went shopping. I took one final walk down La Ramblas. I stopped at a tourist shop and bought two key chains and a fan. They are currently sitting in my room; the key chains are waiting to be sewn onto my Rotary Blazer. XD Oh, and some chocolate typical of Barcelona. Chocolate covered almonds. To die for!! XD Afterwards, we all got back to the hotel and piled into the waiting taxi and went home.
I want to go back!! It was so much fun being with my host family and getting to know them better! I will forever be in my host family’s debt for this trip! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment